Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Gutters and Drains

When I was younger
When I was just a child
I heard a phrase expressed with good intention
It was so hopeful
It was so free of doubt
Innocence led us all to treat it as a given
I tried to believe what so many said

'Don't you know what you can do, darling?
There's not an obstacle around.
Don't you see what you can be, baby?
There's not a limit to your world, no no no.'

But behold, there's no one-way street for
Anybody looking to find their way.
And we know, don't we all know, that the streets
Are lined with gutters and drains.

When I was older
When I was insecure
Every refrain and echo passed right through me
It was too hopeful,
Lifted us up to fall
Promised to make some people slaves to their ambition
I didn't believe what so many said

Now that I'm older still
Now that I've reasoned more
I can appreciate the good intention
Though we may stumble
Though we may never win
We can intend to go as far as we are able
I'll try to make best of what was said

No comments: