Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

I can't help it. Pretty much my entire life I've always been in the liberal tent flap, 'women have a right to their bodies,' all that crap. I've pretty much been a pro-choice crusader for my entire life, up until the last few years when I've been having some serious inner struggles about it.

In the end, no matter how much time I spend dressing it up and down and offering rationalizations back and forth, at conception, a process gets started that will eventually result in a living, breathing human being. A person with a name and dreams and a face, who WAS going to join the world, is now never going to be a part of us.

Now, abortion certainly isn't murder, but it is rationally impossible to debate the fact that abortion prevents a life from happening. A person that could of been me. I might not have my 21 years worth of memories and life experience because someone stopped my process years ago before I ever even had a chance.

As much as I hate agreeing with the neoconservative side of the aisle (and I resisted this topic for years because of it) I can't help feeling like abortion is the genuine prevention of an innocent life. A person who was going to be living and walking and breathing is now never going to do any of those things.

I can't come up with a convincing argument against this. It's morally impossible for me to support abortion rights. I feel like the fetus's right to life outweighs the women's right to choose.

I still think it should be legal (at this point in life when we have a society with so many unwanted pregnancies), if it's illegal than people are just going to do it anyway in some shitty back alley instead. But later in society when we have better socioeconomic opportunities and thus fewer abortions, I hope we can create a society that illegalizes abortion but always provides an outlet for the women to give her baby to someone, somewhere. Every life should at least get a chance.

edit: I think you should still have the right to abort if it's going to be born with disorders or the mother's life is endangered

No comments: