Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Attila the Bun.

Attila was my beloved pet rabbit who has been my one constant companion over the past three years. No matter how awful a day I could have, you'd always be waiting there for me when I got home. The first thing I'd see opening my front door is his curious, adorable face as he hops out of his box to greet me. He lived a wonderful life that many rabbits unfortunately aren't lucky enough to have. I spoiled him. I built his huge cage myself, made sure he always had fresh hay and veggies, let him out frequently to run around the house as fast as his little legs could allow. He would always get so excited to get raisins, carrots, and slices of banana and apple as treats. He was very timid, even for a rabbit, but very happy. I took absolutely perfect care of him. He became a part of me, practically having the same personality as me.

And yet Attila was only three and a half years old when he started getting gastrointestinal problems a day or two ago. He was much too young for a rabbit to pass on. Rabbits his size typically live at least twice as long. Despite taking him to the E.R. last night, bringing him back home, medicating and feeding him, his condition only worsened. By the time I got him to the vet today, he was too weak to even move or support his head. It was a heart-wrenching sight, seeing my little buddy in such a bad state. The vet said that there was almost no chance any treatment we could have done would have helped him recover. He had no idea what could have caused this because of how well I took care of him. I had to make the incredibly upsetting decision to have him put to sleep.

I feel like a giant part of me is missing now. I loved that rabbit more than anyone could ever know. He meant the world to me. I just wish there was something I could have done to prevent this from happening. Your time came far too soon.

I'll miss you, little buddy.

No comments: