Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

thing is, i did not go to skool today

1:25 pm: I go to my creative writing class and get into the computer lab across the hallway to type my work up/surf the internet. Everything’s pretty normal so far.
1:40 p.m.: Lockdown alarm goes off and we all stare at each other, momentarily confused. Then we all decide it was a drill and we all go back to working/surfing internet.
1:41 p.m.: Janitor comes through and tells us we should get back to our classroom and stay away from windows. That’s hard, as an entire wall of our classroom is a window, so we all make do by sitting in the corridor with the rest of our class and our teacher.
1:45 p.m.: I overhear all sorts of rumors from my classmates and decide to do a little investigating of my own. I text a few of my friends, asking what they know. I get told to put away my phone, because apparently it can attract terrorists/fire/crazy gunmen. I continue to text, as a couple of friends sitting next to me throw Coke bottles at each other to keep themselves entertained.
1:47 p.m.: From the replies I got, I’ve worked out that there is a gun involved and the police have locked down our school. This is getting kind of weird…
1:50 p.m.: From watching the news, I've come to the conclusion that if we were in an American school, we’d all have been shot by the deranged student wondering the corridors. It reminds me of an episode of Silent Witness, and I ponder that for a while.
1:54 p.m.: I’ve started to imagine I’m a bad-a** secret agent who can take down anyone I want. In my fantasy, I take out my gun, which hidden up a leg of my jeans, do multiple army rolls to get down the corrider, and then have a stand off with the crazy gunman, who is ready to shoot everyone. I cleverly shoot at his arm so he drops the gun. Grateful police officers run in, cuff him, and call me a hero. It’s a good daydream, but it doesn’t distract me for long.
1:58 p.m.: The vice principal comes on over the speakers and asks if a certain person would get to the front office. (Let's call him "John Smith" for the purpose of this blog. Not to be confused with the gorgeous hunk from Pocahontas.) We all laugh in relief, because if there was a serious gun threat, they probably wouldn’t ask him to get to the front office. John Smith is in a couple of my classes and never really seemed that bright, so somehow I’m not too surprised he’s involved in this.
2:07 p.m.: A teacher comes around and tells us to get to the school's main hall immediately. When we get there, I find my other friends and we fill each other in on what we know. Unfortunately, none of us know anything, so this doesn’t help much. We end up sitting around and gossiping.
2:17 p.m.: We find the janitor who always knows everything that’s going on, and ask him what’s been happening. Apparently this John Smith brought a BB gun to school and left it in his car. The alarm was raised when it was spotted by a teacher.
2:30 p.m.: After what seems like sitting around for forever, we are all allowed out. I consider going to my next class, Psychology, or sitting around and waiting to be picked up by my dad. I decide to against going to class.
2:32 p.m.: A couple of friends and me watch the police talk to John Smith in the parking lot. We discuss how silly this whole thing was until my dad comes.
2:40 p.m.: Dad asks me if anything interesting happened at school today. For once I have a good response!

No comments: