Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

DOESNT MATTER IF YOU"RE BLACK OR WHITE

Title: Black and White

Proverb:“
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.


Scene 1


INT. White room.

Camera: work with a door opening, the bright light behind the door reveals the previously pitch black room as white.

There is a man (Ezekiel. He looks like a young man, at the prime of his life. He has dark eyes and curly black hair, a sharp hooked nose compliments his oval face) sitting on a white chair in the middle of the room. Ezekiel is clothed in a full white suit; the only exception is a black tie and black shoes. Ezekiel is not conscious.
(camera focus on black shoes with background blur, and slow transsision of focus to black tie and gradually overall apperance)

God – a dark skinned man appears through the light, he is fully clothed in white, and approaches Ezekiel, taking his time.

Ezekiel slowly regains his consciousness.

(camera focus on his eyelids, slowly zooming out to show entire face)

Ezekiel (dazed): “wha... what? Where am i?”
(sideview of his mouth opening, minimal facial features discovered)

God (Reassuring and strong): “Do not worry, you are safe”

Ezekiel (Slightly less dazed)
: “where...where am I, I don’t remember....where?”

God: “You are dead my dear Ezekiel; I have come to talk to you. Will you listen?”

Ezekiel ( a tad bit shocked, not overly, still dazed): “what..no, its not possible”

God reaches out and touches Ezekiel on the head

(camera moves from tip of finger to forehead)

God (Commanding): “Remember”

Flashes of light ensue, flashes of pictures, a dirty road, grey buildings, a beautiful girl, and old woman, four little children, a marriage ceremony , and finally a hospital bed. Ezekiel gasps for air.

God: “You are okay my child, you are okay”

Ezekiel is lost for words at first. Slowly he shakes it off and looks straight into the eyes of God

Ezekiel: “where am I, what is this place, who are you?”

God: “So many questions (laugh). You have never changed Ezekiel Ashlag, since the moment you knew how to speak. I am God, Ezekiel, your father in heaven. Although this is not heaven per se.

Ezekiel (fear): “not heaven?...”

God: “No, not hell either , think of it as a transit station before you reach the final destination. You still have many things holding you back Ezekiel, we have to sort them out first before you can enter my kingdom. Come stand up, lets go for a stroll”

As they start walking, their conversation slowly fades into the background.
(camera still and blurs focus of individuals) A tracking shot follows the two man into the light which leads them outside. A beautiful scene is before them. As they start walking. The camera pans outward away from them and slowly looks toward the blue sky, the shot fades into black

Cue to titles. “
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.

(about 2 mins)

Scene 2

INT. White corridor

Change shot into an aerial zoom down toward the two characters (God and Ezekiel). They continue walking down a white corridor ( Describe the camera shot ) As the following lines are being said they continue walking down the this seamlessly long corridor.

Ezekiel: “I get everything… (pause) except one thing. Why am I young again? I’m quite sure (pause) I died an old man”(smile)

God: “ You would like to be a frail old man? I could make that happen ( Tease )”

Ezekiel: “ No, no, it just feels weird, like it’s not my body”

God puts his hand on Ezekiels shoulder, which stops the two of them from the continuous walk they were on

God: “ Get use to it, it’s going to be yours for all eternity” (smile)

Ezekiel smiles to himself, looks at his body, his hands in realisation, in wonder. He then looks at God in a perplexed face like he wants to ask a question but dares not to.

God: “what is it child, you can always talk to me”



Ezekiel gathers strength and asks the question.

Ezekiel: “ Yahweh, you said this was a stop, that this is not heaven and I have unfinished business. What..what is this business.”

God: “Unforgiveness Ezekiel. It is unforgiveness”

Ezekiel: “I don’t remember, not forgiving someone”

God: “Come, you will see soon, we are almost there”

(out focus of camera, blur )

As their conversation slowly dies down to silence, they finally reach a perfectly white rectangular door, god puts his hand on the steel silver doorknob gesturing to open it. The door opens and the light fills the room. A man (
Tomas Heinz) is sitting on a wooden chair. He is chained to that very chair he is sitting on creating a sense of danger from him. Tomas Heinz is in black straight jacket. Everything is black, except his shoe laces.

CLOSE UP: The man’s features are not clearly visible except that he has blonde hair and blue eyes. As he looks into the camera he stares in anger.

(camera focuses on the blonde hair and blue eyes)

Tomas (taunting): “ well, well what do we have here? Come to play with me?”

God (Ignores Tomas): “Come in Ezekiel, do not be afraid”

Ezekiel proceeds to stand next to God.

Tomas: “Ezekiel? What a name. You brought another Jew? Again..?”

God (Angry): “Silence!”
The lights flicker in the room.

(Camera shifts to lights)

The room goes dead quiet; God moves his body closer to Ezekiel, and he whispers into Ezekiel’s ear.

God: “I know this will be hard for you Ezekiel, but, you must persevere. Your unforgiveness of this man is holding you back. You must forgive him, you must try. I will leave you with him now, do not be afraid for I am always with you.”

Ezekiel: “Who is he?”

God smiles at Ezekiel put his hand on Ezekiel shoulder and exits the room, closing the door behind him.

The room goes silent for a few second. Ezekiel is afraid to open his mouth; he finally he manages to conjure up the courage to do so.

( 2 cameras side of the heads conversation shot )
Ezekiel: “Who are you?”

No reply from Tomas

Ezekiel: “Who are you? Can you hear me”

Still no reply

Ezekiel: “Who. Are. You? Why are you ignoring me”

Tomas: “Ezekiel, would you talk to an ant if it were disturbing you? No, You wouldn’t, you would smack it and kill it. However as you can see, I am sort of chained down. So I do the best thing I can do. I ignore it.”

Ezekiel: “Ant...”

-FLASH BACK-
EXT – old grey buildings
An ss soldier hitting a man down onto the floor, while he does this he shouts:
SS soldier: “You stupid ANT, I would kill every single one of you Jews if I could!”

Back to reality

Ezekiel (In disbelief): “no...You’re a Nazi”

Tomas(sarcastic): “finally! Bravo, bravo I would clap for you if I could”
Shakes his body so his chains would rattle

Ezekiel slumps down onto the floor and places his hand on his head in disbelief.

Tomas: “So Jew, what did I do to you that demands forgiveness? Torture your mother? Rape your sister? Kill your vermin father?”

-CLOSE UP- Ezekiel is very distraught he’s covering his face curled up next to a wall on the verge of crying

Ezekiel (says very softly to himself on the verge of tears): “Oh god..WHY? anybody but him.”

(camera pans the scene with the rain pouring and shows the entire scene of the concentration camp, uniformed shirts, pistols, trucks and chains attached on prisoner’s feet )
-FLASH BACK - To the concentration camp where Tomas was an SS officer. It shows him shooting five people. Two of those people were Ezekiel’s parents. The camera shot shows a woman holding a young boy back crying and shouting “mama! Papa” trying to reach out to them. I

-back to the present-

Tomas (firstly disgusted, and then angry): “Oh...get up, what are you doing there crying in the corner ANSWER YOUR MASTER, tell me what I did to you”

Ezekiel (in a fit of rage): “SCREW YOU!”

Ezekiel gets up onto his feat, fist full of fury approaching Tomas’s chair, he intends to hurt Tomas. He prepares to do, he gets ready to attack. As he gets close to Tomas he gets repelled, an invisible shield appears to protect Tomas. Ezekiel falls to the ground because of the shield. He puts his hand to his hands and pulls on his hair in frustration. While this is all happening Tomas is laughing uncontrollably, in an effort to agitate Ezekiel.

Tomas(in triumph): “It would seem your Yaweh, loves everyone, even me” (taunting laugh)

Ezekiel( in response): “You murdered my family, you left me an orphan! You killed many more, why are you not in hell?!”

Tomas: “This is my hell you stupid Jew! Do you think I want to spend all eternity talking to the Jews i’ve killed over the years for the Reich! No I don’t but alas I will make you suffer even in my torment”

Ezekiel: “Why am I here?”

Tomas: “To spend time with me you fool” (Laugh)
(echo .. camera slowly leaves the room fading into the distance)
*Fades to black*

Scene 3
INT. WHITE ROOM

Ezekiel now sits opposite Tomas, slouching against the wall. With his head recline upwards toward the heavens.

Tomas( as if casually talking to a friend): “You know I loved every minute of the occupation, I loved taking the money that was rightfully mine, I loved killing the pests which stole our money. It just felt right you know? It felt like it was Gods plan, don’t know why we lost ”

Ezekiel: “I don’t care, you should be punished for what you did when you were alive, you shouldn’t be here”

Tomas: “oh come on don’t say that, that’s very mean of you, I don’t think God would like that sentiment very much now would he? HAHAHAHAHA (sarcastic laughter )”

Tomas shakes his chains and laughs

Tomas: “I want to die, but I’m not allowed to, so I torment you. I torment you!”

Tomas: “I don’t remember taking your parents life, after all do you remember every bug you squash?”

Tomas: “Don’t ignore me, speak when you are spoken to you rat!”

Ezekiel (looks down at Tomas): “I remember you now, you said exactly the same thing when I was 9 in Warsaw”

-Flash back- to Ezekiel being shouted at by Tomas. Ezekiel is first standing next to his mother as the SS soldier shouts those words at him he slowly retreats behind his mother’s protection.

-back to the present-

Tomas: “You remembered me, was it a good memory?”

Ezekiel: “Be quiet you demon, my father was a good man, my mother was a good woman, I hate you for it. I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!”

A pain looked came upon his face, he suddenly realised what he had said, something so terrible. He touched his head in surrender to his words, he defeated himself.

Ezekiel: “ I wish he were here, he would know what to do”

Tomas: “ I wish he were here too, maybe I can kill him again” ( laugh )

Ezekiel (sobbing in frustration) : “ You....how can I forgive you...how?”

Tomas: “try as hard as you can, you will never ever forgive the man who killed you mother and father” (Laugh)

Ezekiel (says softly in his sobbing): “what should I do, would you forgive him Dad? Would you?”

-FLASH BACK-

Ezekiel’s father is tucking him to sleep, he touches Ezekiel’s forehead affectionately and kisses him on the forehead.

Dad: “Goodnight my son”

Ezekiel: “Dad can I ask you a question?”
Dad: “sure thing, what’s troubling you?”

Ezekiel: “Im scared, this is not our home, I want to go home”

Ezekiel’s father embraces him kisses his head

Dad: “Don’t worry Zeke, things will turn out okay. I just want you to remember, these bad people they are like this because they don’t have God, sooner or later God will come and help us, God is in you so he will protect you. He is in me, he will protect me. So don’t worry. Zeke I also want you to forgive them for what they have done to you. You remember the lords prayer, you say that every night before you sleep, now what does he say? Forgive us our (Ezekiel joins in)….. sins, as we forgive those who sin against us. Very good son, remember I love you, go to sleep”

-Present-

(camera focuses on half his face)
Ezekiel(mutters to himself): “forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us”

Tomas: “What? What did you say speak up!”

Ezekiel(Louder): “forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us!”

Tomas: “Really now? Think about it are you making the right decision?”

Ezekiel: “Yes, I am, I fo-“

Tomas (interrupts): “NO, NO don’t say it”

Ezekiel(Extreme close up to Ezekiel’s lips”: “ I forgive you”

As the words are said Tomas is heard screaming “NOOOOO” suddenly there is a bright light and the room disperses along with Tomas. The camera is focused on Ezekiel’s front as the room is dispersing and slowly disintegrating, his black tie slowly turns from black to white, as the room disappears he ends up on the beach where God is standing not too far away from him (high flash of lights make brightness too hard to be visible)

God (reassuring taps his back with his hands): “I am proud of you my son, you escaped prison, you escaped the prison that you trapped yourself in because of your unforgiveness, and I’m proud of you”

(camera shot from head moving slowly down to tie, pause for a bit, slowly move down focus on shoe)
Ezekiel (smiles) “Thanks, got a new tie”

God (nods): “Now to get rid of the shoes”

Looks out to the beautiful blue ocean before them and fades out.
*ROLL TO CREDITS*

Script written by

Eric Tan and Sahdique M.








No comments: